RE: Key note speech by Mary Robinson at the tenth Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture.
During her speech, the former president of Ireland had raised certain concerns:
- Can it be truly said that freedom from want has been adequately secured for all in the past 18 years?
- Another aspect of truth is admitting mistakes.
- Friends tell me the ANC’s moral authority has been eroded, tainted by allegations of corruption; a temporary betrayal of its history.
- Levels of crime and violence in some areas.
- How can the inequities in the system be resolved so that every South African child has equal access to quality education?
- Social media introducing new ways of empowering ordinary people.
- Twice as many women as men have HIV. etc.
Professor Mekonen Haddis