ISS- Addis, Ethiopia.
July 25, 2012
There was a roundtable at the Institute for Security Studies on the topic of exploring just and effective sources and architecture of climate finance for Africa. It focused on the outcomes of the Conference of Parties seventeenth session (COP 17) of December 2011, and the Green Climate Fund (GCF), which is described as Africa’s big hope.
Presentations were outstanding and thoughtful. Issues raised include:
*The threats of climate change to Africa.
* How to promote a sound climate finance governance architecture in Africa.
* How to best deliver climate finance in Africa.
* Political and security risks.
* Conflict over resources.
* Raise climate change to a higher political priority.
* The impact of climate change on MDGs.
* Financing for renewable energy.
* Need for capacity building, etc.
Professor Mekonen Haddis